Friday, February 17, 2012

Planning a Marriage or Planning a Wedding?

In class we have been discussing the difference between planning a wedding, and planning a marriage. Although they sometimes get confused, they are two entirely different things. One lasts about a day, while the other lasts for eternity. It is sometimes concering for me to see how cught up some people (ok, mainly just girls) over the flowers, the dress, the pictures, the romance, the attention, and the excitement of her "special day". What a dangerous thing this can be. I am not married, so I cannot consider myself an expert, but from what I do know marriage will certainly be very difficult if a person expects that marriage is full of bliss and romance one hundred percent of the time. My religion teacher this semester mentioned once in class that sometimes people love the attention they get when they are engaged too much, and then after the wedding when they are suddenly just another married couple and the attention is gone, they may feel saddened or empty.

Assuming that I have the opportunity to marry in this life, I plan to spend a lot more time and energy during my engagement actively planning and preparing with my fiance and the Lord for our marriage, than I spend fussing over the big day.

No comments:

Post a Comment